What is the .SXW File Extension?
.SXW File Extension Description:
Changes in the versions of StarOffice Writer reflect the changes in the file extension it use. Early versions of StarOffice Writer identify its text documents by using the SDW file extension, which used a binary document as its default format. On the other hand, later versions, particularly StarOffice 6.0, save their text documents by using the SXW file extension, which has XML (Extensible Markup Language) as its default format.
A typical file with the .sxw file extension consists of the following five streams:
* content.xml - stores the main content of the file as well as the text, tables, and graphical elements.
* styles.xml - stores the attributes and properties of all the paragraphs, characters, objects, pages, and numbering styles that have been used to provide a consistent look to the contents of the current document.
* meta.xml - stores general information about the current document including title, type, location, user, time of last save, and more.
* settings.xml - reportedly stores and views settings for this "application-specific document", similar to preferred print options and printer properties, zoom level, and window size.
* manifest.xml - provides additional information about the XML files such as MIME type and encryption method. Like graphic files and objects, it is stored in its own directory.
Some zip utilities that identify archives based on extensions as compared to the entry header of the archive that will not have the file recognized with the .sxw file extension as a compressed archive. In this case, rename the SXW file extension to ZIP file extension to unpack the XML subdocuments. Furthermore, the document type definition (DTD) files that you need to open the files with the .sxw file extension are part of the product. A DTD file is a specification that accompanies a document plus identifies the actual markup which separates topic headings, paragraphs, and so forth and how each is to be processed.
The given advantages of this SXW file extension over the binary format files are indicated as three-fold:
* It ensures compatibility on a long-term note due to the fact that its user data will be stored independently from the source application that created it in a human readable format;
* It facilitates open information publishing because of better indexing and hyperlinking support and the option to apply templates during publication rather than document creation;
* It encourages third-party development because developers can use widely available tools to open, modify, and share its content.Author: Sun Microsystems
Author URL: http://www.sun.com
Related Applications: StarOffice Writer
Common Path: C:/ Program Files
Run a Free Scan to check for SXW related errors & to optimize PC performance.
Do you have errors with .SXW files?
The General Cause of .SXW files Errors:
.SXW files errors are possibly critical Windows file system errors and may be caused because of a broken program registry that you should fix immediately to protect against further corruption in other software and/or hardware. During the time the errors remain your personal computer stays in danger of potential blue screen errors, hardware failure and fatal crashes.
Symptoms of .SXW files Errors:
.SXW files error symptoms include software lock ups, system shut down or start up problems, jerky computer performance, sluggish behaviour, input halts, internal speaker beeps, trouble opening program files and errors while installing applications.
The following products are free to try. We have found them to be of the highest quality and value. They have been extremely useful in our own pc troubleshooting and maintainance and we highly recommend trying them out for yourself.
With a lightning fast free scan and the largest authentic spyware detection database we have seen, Anti-Malware Pro finds and removes threats to your PC stability and security. Download Anti-Malware Pro
DriverFinder will scan your system for driver and software updates. Its easy to use interface makes keeping your drivers updated quick and simple. They will even send you an email notification when new driver updates are available for your system! It doesn't get any more convenient than this. Download DriverFinder
Browse File Extensions by Name:
Is your File Extension missing?
Help us to make errorDecoder.com the best resource we possibly can by submitting you very own file extension details. If you have detailed information on any file extensions please let us know by visiting the following link.Submit File Details Form